Monday, March 2, 2009

Training Barbara - Week 3

Thank you again for all of your comments and emails. This is exciting stuff, and your feedback is a great source of motivation and reinforcement for all of us! We are both super impressed with the transformation we are starting to see in Barbara. Even from last week, her legs show greater strength and flexibility. It's pretty amazing to witness. Some of the exercises and stretches that were quite difficult have, in one week's time, become more natural and less effortful. Next step... take it up a notch!

In Barbara's Words -

Week two is finished with success! The new floor exercises provided a real challenge, and I can feel a big difference in my muscles. Not only do I feel stronger, but also more balanced.
While I am working hard, I can't help but be a little nervous with the realization that we have only two weeks left. Don't get me wrong, I am still EXTREMELY excited - but with this conscious thought came a few butterflies. Will I be ready? Will I be controlling the skis or will they be controlling me? I am determined to find out, but have to admit I am BEYOND happy that Mieke and Ez will be there with me to (figuratively) hold my hand or (again figuratively) give me a shove if needed.
Ok, I am ready. Lets do this - keep it coming and BRING ON WEEK THREE!

In Our Words -
We will (literally) hold your hand and give you a shove if necessary!


The Workout, Week 3 -

Tuesday
32 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on the elliptical - (increase of 2 minutes from Week 2)
8 Minutes Gradual Warm-up
24 Minutes at 70-80% Maximum Heartrate
5 Minutes Cooldown


Floorwork - 2 Sets of 8-10 reps each exercise (or per side)
Legs and Lower Body
  • Reverse Crossover Lunges
  • Lunge Hops
  • One-Leg Forward Bend (5 reps, hold for 5 seconds each side)
  • Side-to-Side Slide
Core Work
  • Supine Leg Drive
  • Plank Knee-Lift
  • Standing Single Leg Rotation (with Medicine Ball)
Cooldown - Stretches for hamstrings, quads, hips and calves.

Thursday
30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise - (2 minutes less than Tuesday)
8 Minutes Gradual Warm-up
22 Minutes Interval Training (Each interval is 2 minutes high intensity at 70-85% max heart-rate followed by 2-3 minutes at lighter intensity. Repeat 4 to 5 times.)

5 Minutes Cooldown

Floorwork - 3 Sets of 8-10 reps of each exercise (or per side)
Legs and Lower Body
  • Reverse Crossover Lunges
  • Lunge Hops
  • One-Leg Forward Bend (5 reps, hold for 5 seconds each side)
  • Side-to-Side Slide
Cooldown - Stretches for hamstrings, quads, hips and calves.

Saturday -
32 minutes of cardiovascular exercise -
8 Minutes Gradual Warm-up
24 Minutes at
70-80% Maximum Heartrate
5 Minutes Cooldown

Floorwork - 3 Sets of 8-10 reps of each exercise (or per side)
Core Work
  • Supine Leg Drive
  • Plank Knee-Lift
  • Standing Single Leg Rotation (with Medicine Ball)
Cooldown - Stretches for abs, low-back, hamstrings, quads, hips and calves.

Sunday - Action Day!
Winter hiking anyone? Count us in. We'll all go to Coldspring with our baselayers and water bottles and get some fresh, cold air in our lungs.


**NOTE:
If you are thinking about trying any of these exercises or workouts and you have any questions about whether or not they would be right for you, please email us (liefstyle@gmail.com) or check with your doctor or physical therapist before beginning.

5 comments:

  1. continued congrats to barbara for the commitment to strength and kudos to mieke and ezra for their generous help! love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday's cardio interval training ROCKED! I loved it...and it loved me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks kitty! hey, do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for great workout tracks? Am looking to refresh my playlist...

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbara,

    you're doing a great job!!! wish I had your personal trainer here with me :-)))
    CU in may when i come over..
    greetz
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Barbara!! Cool photos too. xo

    ReplyDelete