Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Backpack Goodbye

I don't exactly remember when this backpack came into my life. I probably was not the one buying it but certainly the one claiming it to be mine.
It served me reliably and well for more than 15 years.
The Lowe Alpine Contour Runner was the best for everything I have done in the past 15 years.
Rollerblading, going to the beach, biking, skiing in the Alps, rock climbing in Southern France and moving to New York.
My backpack has now succumbed to the stresses of a backpack life.
A brand new fancy Deuter has entered my life to join me in the next adventure.
The Lowe Alpine backpack stays in the closet, retired.

3 comments:

  1. i totally relate to the feeling of sadness at saying goodbye to a loyal backpack that has traveled the world with you. i have one that's going on fifteen years that's in tatters but just can't find a better one. taking photos makes the goodbyes easier, i find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same bag for many years. Until the fatefull day that I took a long swim with Juliana in Costa Rica. A man streaked across the beach, grabbed the pack and ran into the hills. I swam in and sprinted after him to no avail. O, my Lowe Alpine bag, I hope you are well wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the end of an era! Whenever you saw the backpack, you saw Mieke and vice-versa. Give it a nice last resting place...

    ReplyDelete